We got up early and took JC & Julia to the Rio Grande Gorge bridge before 7:00. We did this because we knew there would be a hot air balloon flying in the air. They launch at 7am. Julia and JC call the balloons "air hot balloons" which got us saying it too. It was funny to not get too confused on what we were really trying to say. The bridge connects the road over the river. I think the gorge is 900 feet, maybe less, but it felt like 9,000 feet. I was incredibly nervous. I do okay with heights, but I was worried for the kids that they might be scared and get frightened or they may be too interested like JC was and trying to stick his head through the fence over the bridge to look out. He couldn't of course, but my stomach was jumpy and nervous! Jeff got some great video of the bridge and I just held onto the edge and tried to remain calm for the kids sake. We saw a dead snake on the road over the bridge. Pretty cool for the kids to see a snake so up close, thankfully it was dead! So yes, Grandma Judy we saw one snake on our trip- a dead one. :) We sat at a picnic area by the bridge at the rest area and watched the balloon float through the sky. The balloon never got down low or close to us, but we enjoyed imagining we were in the balloon floating over the canyon. I'm sure the view was totally awesome! Maybe the next time, we'll go on the balloon ride ourselves.
We went back to the house to pick up Jetta and then headed to the Taos Ski Valley for shopping in one of their outfitter shops. We bought shirts for the kids. The stores weren't all open yet and there wasn't much else to see.Jeff took the 3 kids to drive to Red River. He went once as a kid during ski season and wanted to go back to show the kids. I met Susan & Andrew in Arroyo Seco and we shopped the mercantile store and some other antique/souvenir shops. I bought Susan & me long bead necklaces that wrap around your neck or can be worn as belts. Susan's is brown and mine is white, blue and brownish-red. We met in the Taos Cow and Susan & Andrew had ice cream, I drank grapefruit soda only because I wanted to come back with Jeff and get ice cream with him later.
We had left-overs for lunch and then while the kids rested Jeff and I went to shop for some souvenirs. We bought a ceramic sun and geckos at a shop called "Casa de la Sol." The geckos are painted in the style called LaVarene (?)-- kind of a mexican pattern, very colorful and artsy. If I could redo our kitchen I would design in that style-- relaxing and comfortabl
e. Anyway, Jeff and I stopped at the Taos Cow and I had lavender ice cream; Jeff got blue berry. My review of the place was just okay, the flavor was pretty good but the texture was too icy and not creamy like I expected. For the atmosphere and over-all appearance, I would go back again; probably just to get coffee or grapefruit soda again, now that was yummy! We went back home for a little bit and I took the kids on a walk on our drive to see the clouds above the moutain. Jetta was interested, JC & Julia were spooked by the wind and ran back inside. I got this great picture of the neighbor's house and the clouds.
e. Anyway, Jeff and I stopped at the Taos Cow and I had lavender ice cream; Jeff got blue berry. My review of the place was just okay, the flavor was pretty good but the texture was too icy and not creamy like I expected. For the atmosphere and over-all appearance, I would go back again; probably just to get coffee or grapefruit soda again, now that was yummy! We went back home for a little bit and I took the kids on a walk on our drive to see the clouds above the moutain. Jetta was interested, JC & Julia were spooked by the wind and ran back inside. I got this great picture of the neighbor's house and the clouds.We had dinner on our own and Jeff & I picked a place called Graham's Grille recommended by my parents. The location was right off the Taos Plaza where they were hosting Taos Plaza Live that night with you guessed it- live music! We got to sit outside on the covered patio and could hear the music. Jeff had a tortilla hamburger and I had green chile soup & salad. Sounds simple, but the food was full of flavor and was incredible. The host and chef (Patrick & Leslie) are the owners, we met them both and they are very gracious and friendly. They are obviously living their dream indicated by how happy they both were. A 14 year-old boy was hostessing outside and he was so cute trying to work so hard being formal and correct (reminded me of myself at that age).
Back at the house after we gathered our stuff together for heading out to Santa Fe, we played the Newlywed Game with the adults. Of course, the Oldy-weds won-- my parents! Some of the questions were embarassing, but evenmore the answers were hilarious to give and hear. I guess we'll say what happens in Taos, stays in Taos for that part of the trip. We had fun and there were no feelings hurt or akwardness. (Buy the game if you don't already have it!!)
The end of the day was bittersweet since it was the last day in Taos.
1 comment:
This was a great post. BUT...who in the WORLD drinks grapefruit soda but Jennifer Hughes!
Post a Comment