June 25th, 2009- Day One
We* left for Wichita Falls on Friday high noon (*Jeff left on Thursday and drove from DFW with his caddy to NM on Friday). In the morning, I dropped the kids off at daycare while I did some last minute errands before heading out of town. I picked them up right after lunch and we left around 12 noon from Waco. The kids did pretty good on the car ride and they had a minor melt down in the parking lot at Braum's in Decatur. The snack bag & fun bag came in handy at this point and we drove on to Wichita Falls and met my parents at the Tourist Visitors Center. Everyone visited the bathrooms (the kids 2 times I think!) and we stretched out our legs. After about 30 minutes of stretching and quick catching up, Mom/Nina hopped in the car with Jetta, JC & me. Julia got to ride with Dad/Grandpa and I think she slept most of the way to Childress, TX.We arrived in Childress about 6:15 pm. There we stopped to check in our hotel; we picked up McDonald's & then headed to the hotel's "swimmin' poo' " There was a livestock train yard (Dad insert the right terminology here) outside of our hotel window; also, there was a train track further off that we got to see & hear trains. The kids thought that was neat and there was a rodeo training ring past the train where we got to watch real cowboys practice roping, herding cattle and riding horses. What I remember about this day was watching the sunset behind the cowboys riding and I was thinking, this is "real country".
2 comments:
Jennifer, from what I remember of the train cars, they were auto carriers- designed to carry automobiles. The thing I enjoyed seeing on the sides was the graffiti/art work. I think they were parked on a seldom used siding.
Oh, makes sense. I thought they were cars to carry livestock. Do they use trains to carry livestock?
Post a Comment