I know I have mentioned a few times before that I've been teaching 2nd-3rd grade Sunday School at church since August. Well, last Sunday was my last Sunday of my rotation. I didn't get to formally say good-bye (there really wasn't a reason to). I'll assist again in 2-3 months before summer begins, and I'll still see them at church.
My favorite memories of teaching are:
--The Sunday before Christmas we read a story about candy canes and then we sang songs along with our own words to Christmas carols about the birth of Jesus. The regular kids were rehearsing with the kids choir and I had 2 visitors who didn't know the regular words to the Christmas carols. They hadn't even heard them-- First Noel, Joy to the World & O Little Town of Bethlehem. We just sang them regular and they both told me, they loved Christmas songs like these.
--The 1st Sunday we prayed and a little boy thanked God "for letting the black kids come to school and thank you for Martin Luther King Jr." It was relevant, we were learning about how we are all important to God.
--These last few weeks have been quite interesting. We were studying Luke 6:31, "Do to others as you would have them do to you." We wrote down mean comments that we could say about others, then we drew them out of a hat and read them out loud. One said he told his parents he hated them and the person that drew it out of the hat said "Tell your parents you love them and give them a hug." This was my favorite discussion, because they had a lot of input to talk about other kids at school who were SO mean and use bad words.
--One week they drew Superheroes and they didn't know what I was talking about. They didn't watch cartoons or read comic books and they finally understood when I talked about "super" powers on video games! They ended up drawing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle & Smash from Super 4 (?).
--Please continue to pray for the kids. They are all very special and it means a lot to them to know someone is praying for them. One child has a parent in Iraq and one child has a parent who is unemployed. They all have specific requests, but continue to uplift them in prayer: Cameron, Alex, Cole, Ethan, Calvin, Mats, Karina, Vance & Kyle.
No comments:
Post a Comment