
I know I have already gone on and on about going to the Stoney LaRue concert this past Friday, but I want to write about it because there are some things I want to remember. Inside, I felt like a kid going to the concert because we got "band's guest" passes from my brother-in-law's friend, Jesse*, who "happens" to play bass for the band!!! I've never been backstage to anything.
The first time I heard about Stoney LaRue was in my Agape class at church (can you believe that?). Jesse's mom, Norma, is in my class and she was telling us how proud she's been of him and she gives us updates from time to time. Jesse & Culley, my brother-in-law, went to college together at Tarleton State and my brother-in-law's wife, Christie, played in jr. high band with Jesse in Lorena, TX. I won't give dates, but they all go way back. We used to watch Jesse with another band, Daystar, here in Waco at a hangout called Treff's. When Norma told us about Stoney LaRue, I downloaded some songs from Napster and I've really enjoyed one of his signature remakes "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan and "Closer to You." They didn't perform either songs at Friday's concert, but I was really impressed with the muscianship of everyone performing. They blended so well and it sounded better live than on recording. That's hard to do!
Culley, Christie** and I met everyone in the band (incl. Stoney) and they were all very nice. We got to hang out with them in their brand new tour bus. They listened back to the live recording of the concert and it was interesting watching them listen and comment on their sound. All of the band members commented on how well Stoney has taken care of them and encourages them to be their very best. I met Jeremy Watkins, the fiddle player, and just kind of froze because I didn't know what to say. He came back and told me his name 2 more times. I didn't even tell him I played violin!! I just said "Hi, I'm Jennifer"- 3x back!!! LOL!!
In the 90's, I remember seeing the violin player on TV for The Cranberries, and she had a purple electric violin! I wanted to be her for the longest time. I've been in a trance the past 24 hours thinking about how down-to-earth the whole group was and wondering how I could ever be in a band. I would have to sharpen my violin skills and my vocal back up skills. Maybe, I'd finally have that chance to get another tattoo, dye hair strands dark purple and dance all night!
...Hmm... maybe in my dream life.. I don't know how the kids would feel about me touring with a band! I guess I'll just have to keep imagining myself in a band while I drive my car, like I do already...
*Thank you Jesse for the passes! You're great!!
The first time I heard about Stoney LaRue was in my Agape class at church (can you believe that?). Jesse's mom, Norma, is in my class and she was telling us how proud she's been of him and she gives us updates from time to time. Jesse & Culley, my brother-in-law, went to college together at Tarleton State and my brother-in-law's wife, Christie, played in jr. high band with Jesse in Lorena, TX. I won't give dates, but they all go way back. We used to watch Jesse with another band, Daystar, here in Waco at a hangout called Treff's. When Norma told us about Stoney LaRue, I downloaded some songs from Napster and I've really enjoyed one of his signature remakes "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan and "Closer to You." They didn't perform either songs at Friday's concert, but I was really impressed with the muscianship of everyone performing. They blended so well and it sounded better live than on recording. That's hard to do!
Culley, Christie** and I met everyone in the band (incl. Stoney) and they were all very nice. We got to hang out with them in their brand new tour bus. They listened back to the live recording of the concert and it was interesting watching them listen and comment on their sound. All of the band members commented on how well Stoney has taken care of them and encourages them to be their very best. I met Jeremy Watkins, the fiddle player, and just kind of froze because I didn't know what to say. He came back and told me his name 2 more times. I didn't even tell him I played violin!! I just said "Hi, I'm Jennifer"- 3x back!!! LOL!!
In the 90's, I remember seeing the violin player on TV for The Cranberries, and she had a purple electric violin! I wanted to be her for the longest time. I've been in a trance the past 24 hours thinking about how down-to-earth the whole group was and wondering how I could ever be in a band. I would have to sharpen my violin skills and my vocal back up skills. Maybe, I'd finally have that chance to get another tattoo, dye hair strands dark purple and dance all night!
...Hmm... maybe in my dream life.. I don't know how the kids would feel about me touring with a band! I guess I'll just have to keep imagining myself in a band while I drive my car, like I do already...
*Thank you Jesse for the passes! You're great!!
**Special thanks to Culley & Christie for letting me "tag" along. Ya'll are the best!!
No comments:
Post a Comment