Sunday, April 25, 2010

This is not Martha Stewart's garden!

My Grandma Rita used to have a sign in her garden that politely read, "This is not Martha Stewart's garden."  I never really understood the humor in the sign, but admired my grandmother for her boldness to display such an odd yard sign in her beautiful garden.  Grandma's garden was very pretty some years with perennials, hostas, vegetables and cute decorations.  I think my love of bunny garden decor came from adoring Grandma's bunnies.

One summer when I was 11 or 12, Grandma Rita's husband, Dale, dared me to eat a fresh jalapeno from the garden.  I was up for a dare and I ate the whole jalapeno, seeds and all.  My mouth was completely on fire and I had a hard time forgiving him that day for such a dern-hot dare!  I drank glasses of water and quietly cried because I was mad.  I was crying at myself and wouldn't you know it was the hottest food I'd ever tasted yet.  It put a fire in me to love... no, crave hot, spicy foods.  Now, I truly believe, the spicier the food, the better it tastes.  When hot food makes me cry I say, "I'm crying because I'm happy" and it's actually true.

This year, we planted our second garden.  I tried a hand last year at a garden and learned a few things, so this year I'm trying again.  It's by no means anything compared to Martha Stewart's garden, nor Grandma Rita's garden.  I wish I had that sign for our garden, but I'm thinking of making my own because now I understand what the sign meant.  I'm feeling brave enough to share progress pictures of the garden and I'll take pictures again through the summer for my own checkpoint purposes, but you are welcome at any time to suggest, comment, critique and what-have-you's.  By all means, I'm even up for a dare if you have daring suggestions...     

L to R: Cherry tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, Mexican Heathergrass & black-eyed susans.


No comments: